Do you make the best use of your freezer? The freezer can be a great storage tool and way of minimising food waste, but how long is it safe to store foods in there?
Safety isn’t the only consideration – after a while foods stored too long will start to lose flavour.
Here’s a handy list of foods and their approximate storage time:
* Bacon and sausages – 1 month
* Chicken and other poultry – whole, for 1 year, pieces 9 months
* Mince, ground meat and hamburgers – 3-4 months
* Soups and stews with vegetables and meat – 1-2 months
* Cream – lightly whip double cream before freezing and freeze for up to three months
* Butter – 1 year
* Cheese – grate before freezing. Hard cheeses like cheddar, Parmesan and semi-hard cheeses such as mozzarella freeze well, but soft cheeses do not. Freeze for up to six months.
For more freezer tips, see BBC Good Food.